The New York School of Urban Ministry (NYSUM) equips youth and adults through life-changing, cross-cultural, hands-on, short term missions experiences.
Founded in 1984, the New York School of Urban Ministry hosts more than 5,000 short term missionaries each year for short term missions in NYC. As a result, tens of thousands of hurting and needy New Yorkers have experienced the compassion and love of Jesus Christ, and approximately 67% of the youth and adults that attend NYSUM plan to engage in community outreach ministries in their own cities.
Here are examples of inner-city outreaches that our short term missions teams are involved in during the NYSUM Experience:
- Cross-cultural outreaches – Ministering in Muslim, Jewish, Afro-Caribbean, and Hispanic communities
- Compassion ministry – Blessing NYC’s homeless who are living on the city streets with fresh food, hygiene packets, clothing, and gospel literature
- Open Air Street Meetings, Block Parties, Soup Kitchens, and Rescue Missions
- Mercy ministry to NYC’s mentally disabled at cerebral palsy centers
- Church Planting – Partner with NYC inner city pastors to help plant churches and other ministries
- Reaching At-Risk Kids – Clowns, Puppets, & Drama
- Prayer Walks – Over the Brooklyn Bridge, Ground Zero, Wall Street, & at the United Nations Headquarters
At NYSUM, we link each team with local NYC pastors, churches, and other ministry partners to reach the lost together.
On behalf of my wife and I, we invite you and your ministry to join us in the NYSUM Experience. If you are interested in bringing a short term mission group to New York City, please review our many packages and contact us.